On this page, you will find beginner guitar lessons that will give you all the basics to start off learning guitar from scratch.
Are you a fresh new guitarist? Welcome aboard! You’ll navigate among tons of information, and may become a master in your domain. But first, let me ask you a question.
1. What do you want to play?
Folk, Rock, Metal… There are many genres, for many styles. You might have a nylon-stringed guitar and want to play Metal. Well… It’s possible, but the genre will be a bit twisted, and you will end up playing Classical Metal. That’s a beautiful style, it’s true. But it might be something different from what you want to play.
You don’t have a guitar yet? Then, let me give you a tour of what you can find on the market. Get on the boat, I will show you the way.
2. Before starting…
Are you aware of the great amount of guitars on the market? It’s huge. Let me give you a quick preview. They’re all divided into two parts:
- [Lesson 0.1] Acoustic Guitars: Unplugged, by definition. Uses only acoustic. There are many types of acoustic guitars: nylon, steel-stringed (country), twelve-string guitar among the most known. For more details, see the article.
- [Lesson 0.2] Electric Guitars: Plugged. By definition, uses electricity to function. The only exception is for the electric-acoustic guitar which can be played both plugged and unplugged. Here again, there are many types: solid body, chambered body, electric-acoustic, among the most known.
So, if you don’t have chosen any guitar, it’s time to. Remember the question a bit earlier? What do you want to play? It’s better to pick now the perfect instrument for your preferred genre / style. Take a look at the following article to learn more:
- [Lesson 1] What is the best guitar for beginners?
But know that the end, your music taste should decide!
3. Getting ready with beginner guitar lessons!
Have you chosen your guitar? Perfect. Now is the time for basic guitar lessons:
- [Lesson 2] How to hold a guitar correctly: a quick guide to understand what is the best position to hold your guitar.
- [Lesson 0.3] Guitar diagram: to learn the different parts of your instrument.
- Beginner tools: well. You need to be equipped. In this section you will find tuners, and a guide to understand tablatures. You can always go to the guitar tools section if you want more.
- [Lesson 3] How to use a capo on the guitar: how to use this little thing? It’s explained in this lesson.
- [Lesson 0.4] Guitars strings (acoustic / electric): before buying any strings, it’s important to know a thing or two.
- [Lesson 4] Best way to hold a guitar pick : it’s an essential lesson before learning how to strum a guitar. Don’t miss that part.
- [Lesson 5/6] Finger-style / strumming: explanation of those terms and practice video. Start your first guitar lesson now. Or learn how to strum a guitar with a pick.
These beginner guitar lessons are important if you are a new starter. But you can of course skip them and go to the next part in case you already know what I have introduced you. You can still go back to this section later if you need to.
4. On the road to the intermediate level.
You often hear guitar teachers say that knowing how to play barre chords is the biggest milestone in terms of playing the guitar. In fact, even if the notion of beginner or intermediate level is highly subjective, when you master barre chords, you’re no longer a newbie.
Have you learned how to play open chords? You might want to venture a bit further. Take a look at the following lessons:
- [Lesson 7] Learn how to play bar chords on the guitar. You can either choose the video or the text lesson. This is a key skill to acquire and will dramatically improve the way that you play.
5. What’s next?
Have you learned all the basics? Are you ready to deepen your knowledge? Great. Here’s what you can do from now on: